Chumsearch.com is a nasty browser hijacker that specifically attacks Mac computers and their respective browser. Some pseudo computer security sites today may tell you that this is the hijacker attacking Windows PCs, but this is obviously not true information and, most likely, these are sites and companies that are not performing any decent analysis but simply steal information from other resources. Anyway, speaking about chumsearch.com, this is the hijacker attacking Safari, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox in Mac OS X environment. The hijacker could be activated through enabling a special unwanted extension in all these above-said browsers. It will therefore appear on the startup (home page), plus the same unwanted domain may show up whenever you attempt to open new blank tab. Finally, the default search engine settings will be also modified, so when you submit some queries via chumsearch.com you will be redirected through third-party sites not related to any genuine search providers. Removal of chumsearch.com is definitely a problem today, since the hijacker may be concealed deeply in your computer and only scanning your Mac with proven anti-virus may definitely help.
Chumsearch.com hijacker quick facts.
Negative modifications caused by chumsearch.com hijacker.
Once installed and enabled, chumsearch.com browser hijacker will modify the homepage and search engine for your web browser into chumsearch.com instead of Google Search or other search parameters set previously by you. It will also amend the default search engine by removing Google completely and forcing you to look for the information through its own page or other related sites, which are definitely not considered as genuine search providers. chumsearch.com may additionally hijack new tab or blank tab setting of your browser. Whenever you attempt to open a blank search tab you will face the hijacker’s page instead.
chumsearch.com is enabled through installation of additional software into your computer. This might include installation of standalone applications which might block your attempts to delete chumsearch.com, enabling certain services that would be initiated whenever you start your computer, or, finally, alteration and installation of certain registry entries which modify the way your browser typically functions. In some cases the hijacker gets injected through installation of browser add-ons (extensions).
Once the computer is infected with chumsearch.com, the system will start functioning much slower than usual. This can be evidently noticed by increased CPU usage and its high rotation speed. Thus, the hijacker consumes a lot of system resources and may cause your entire computer to operate extremely sluggish, even to the extent of utter failure to operate.
Additionally, chumsearch.com is also involved in the following unwanted activities:
- Enabling and displaying various advertisement banners and sponsored links by chumsearch.com in various sections of hijacked browser (home page and search results page);
- Regularly tracking your browsing habits, i.e. collecting your personal and sensitive information, query data and other information which is deemed to be strictly private and confidential (performing the function of spyware);
- Transferring illegally obtained information about you and your search preferences to third parties for various illegal purposes.
Leaks through which chumsearch.com hijacker infiltrate into computers.
Installer of chumsearch.com hijacker is typically bundled with other free utilities that people download via the Internet. Sadly, certain free downloads do not fully reveal that other applications will additionally be installed and people might eventually find out that they have mistakenly permitted injection of the hijacker without their knowledge.
Ways to avoid installation of chumsearch.com virus.
Tip #1. Paying attention to minor yet important facts while dealing with free programs.
You must always pay attention while installing free applications. In many cases a freeware installer offers optional installations. Read thoroughly the information provided by the installer and be fully aware of what you agree to install. Always choose the option of custom or advanced installation and uncheck the boxes associated to anything that is not necessary for you to be installed, especially extra programs that you never intended to download and install at all. It goes without mentioning that you must not install the applications that you don’t trust. Below please find the example of custom (advanced) installation method allowing you to prevent intrusion of unwanted software:
Tip #2. Reconsider your available anti-malware (anti-virus) software.
Some people today prefer not to have any anti-virus programs at all, which would be providing at least some sort of anti-malware protection and possibly prevent intrusion of unwanted utilities. Of course, in this case it is not surprising that chumsearch.com got injected. On the other hand, intrusion of this hijacker while your system is already furnished with certain anti-malware utility means that this anti-malware software failed to play its direct function of defending your system from computer viruses. It’s time to reconsider your choices in terms of the application into which you entrust the security of your Mac computer. We recommend you to switch to Combo Cleaner for Mac for your ultimate protection. You’re strongly advised to purchase Combo Cleaner now and get your Mac secured from continuous malware attacks.
So, how to get rid of chumsearch.com hijacker from your Mac browser?This removal guide may seem to be quite complicated to you based on the number of the milestones and various must-do measures that need to be implemented. We have specifically elaborated this guide in such a manner in order for it to furnish you with clear, step-by-step and simple to grasp guidelines that anyone can refer to to get rid of chumsearch.com hijacker effectively. Please implement all the milestones in the proper sequence. If you have any queries or doubt at any sorts, get in touch with us via built-in chat and we will help you additionally.
Chumsearch.com detailed removal steps.
Detailed milestones to get rid of chumsearch.com hijacker from Mac computers:
- Download Combo Cleaner by clicking on the download button below (through other available browser).
- You will be redirected to the App Store:
- Install the application and start it. Wait until the program downloads and installs required updates (mandatory step):
- After the updates are successfully installed, click on “Start Combo Scan“:
- The application will detect all malicious components related to chumsearch.com and other infections. To enable full functionality of Combo Cleaner and to delete all detected items, click on “Upgrade to Premium and Remove“:
- Restart your Mac and repeat scanning.
Instructions to prevent your Mac from being contaminated with chumsearch.com hijacker and similar infections in the future:
Combo Cleaner is a great tool for your Mac to combat malware, browser hijackers, adware and other infections. We suggest that you download Combo Cleaner now to keep your system permanently protected against all possible cyber threats.
STEP 2. Removing chumsearch.com hijacker from Google Chrome browser.
- In Google Chrome, click on its “Settings” button in the form of three vertical dots, then select “Settings“.
- Select “Extensions” in the left part of the window. Uncheck suspicious extension, then click on the Trash icon next to it.
- NOTE. Final optional steps. Use these steps only if the above-mentioned methods to remove chumsearch.com hijacker from Google Chrome did not help. When in Google Chrome settings mode, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Show advanced settings“.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Reset settings” button.
- In the pop-up window, click on “Reset“.
Video tutorial to fix Google Chrome.
STEP 3. Remove chumsearch.com hijacker from Mozilla Firefox browser.
- In Mozilla Firefox, click on the icon that looks in the form of three horizontal lines in the upper-right section of the browser window. Click on “Add-ons“.
- Click on the “Extensions” tab in the left part of the windows. Check suspicious extensions. If you identify them, click on “Disable“, then on “Remove“.
- NOTE. Final optional steps. Use these steps only if the above-mentioned methods to remove chumsearch.com from Mozilla Firefox did not help. Click on the icon that looks in the form of three horizontal lines in the upper-right section of Mozilla Firefox and select the question-mark icon at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
- Click on “Troubleshooting information” in the slide-out menu.
- Select the “Refresh Firefox” button at the top right of the new web page.
- Finally, click on “Refresh Firefox” again to confirm the action.
Video tutorial to fix Mozilla Firefox:
STEP 4. Remove chumsearch.com from Internet Explorer browser.
- Click on Internet Explorer settings icon in the upper-right part of the browser in the form of a gear-wheel. Select “Manage add-ons“.
- Find suspicious toolbar or extension. Click on it (make it highlighted). Then click on “Disable” button related to this particular toolbar or extension.
- NOTE. Final optional steps. Use these steps only if the above-mentioned methods to delete chumsearch.com from Internet Explorer did not help. Click on Internet Explorer settings icon in the upper-right part of the browser in the form of a gear-wheel. Select “Internet Options“.
- Select “Advanced” tab, then click on “Reset“.
- Select appropriate reset options, then click on “Reset“.
Video tutorial to fix Internet Explorer.
STEP 5. Remove chumsearch.com from Opera browser.
- Click on “Opera” menu in the upper-right part of the browser. Select “Extensions“, then click on “Manage extensions“.
- If you find anything suspicious, disable and delete it.
Video tutorial to fix Opera:
STEP 6. (optional) Removing malware from Safari in Mac OS X.
- Stage 1. Click on “Safari” menu, then go to “Preferences“.
- Stage 2. In the “General” tab set the home page back to google.com or other start page of your preference.
- Stage 3. In the “Extensions” tab, locate suspicious extensions and click on “Uninstall“.
- Stage 4. In Safari menu, select “Clear history” and click on “Clear History again“.
- Stage 5. Get back to Safari menu, then click on “Preferences“.
- Stage 6. Click on “Privacy” tab, then choose “Manage Website Data…“.
- Stage 7. Click on “Remove All“, then on “Done“.