We’ve encountered today that one of our test computers got infected by a serious hijacker called Dounty.com, also known as zwiiky.com. This is what we’ve seen as we opened our Mozilla Firefox browser, whereas the chances are that other browser may be contaminated by this virus too. What’s more unusual is that when accessing the “Options” menu of Mozilla Firefox absolutely different website will be set in the home page of it – gosearch.me.
All such modifications of your browser happen when you install some free program. By default, users are suggested to make certain amendments into their browsers as far as their default homepage and search engine settings are concerned. Hence, once the browser gets hijacked, it may be redirected through one of these nasty websites.
Actually, this hijacker claims of itself to be some superb search engine which is supposed to facilitate your surfing. In fact, there’s more harm which it causes, compared to the “usefulness” it promises.
If you would like to avoid the cases of your browser to be hijacked by this particular infection you definitely need to be selective and even picky when choosing the applications you would like to be made as the part of your system. Make sure you always notice what other applications you’re advised to install into your computer. You must also use the option of the advanced installation, instead of the standard one. Doing so will help you to avoid any unpleasant adware installations ahead of time. They will be able to uncheck all third-party software from becoming the part of their PCs.
Some people actually fail to be attentive. By mistake, they just click on “Next” and “I agree” buttons, without actually understanding what exactly they agree with. As a result, they often permit various junk programs to become the part of their computers. To fix your browser we recommend you to follow this guide carefully explaining how to get rid of this infection from your PC. We recommend you to do it with the help of GridinSoft Trojan Killer, the reliable antispyware program. You will need to remove all the infections it finds and to reset your browsers with its help. In case you require more help on our part, please feel free to contact us at any time of your choice.
Anti-malware tool necessary to eliminate Dounty.com automatically.
Step-by-step automatic uninstall tutorial:
- Download GridinSoft Trojan Killer through the download button (above).
- Install the application and scan your computer with it.
- At the end of scan click “Apply” to remove all infections related to this browser hijacker:
- Important! It is also very important that you reset your browsers using GridinSoft Trojan Killer after you delete this particular hijacker. Shut down all your available browsers right now.
- In GridinSoft Trojan Killer click on “Tools” tab and select “Reset browser settings“:
- Select which particular browsers you would like to be reset and choose the reset options:
- Finally, Click on “Reset” button.
- You will receive the confirmation windows about browser settings reset successfully.
- Reboot your system now.
Video explaining how to reset your browser using GridinSoft Trojan Killer:
Manual (free) instructions to get rid of zwiiky.com.
Step 1. Uninstalling suspicious software from the Control Panel of your system.
- Make sure that all your browsers infected with zwiiky.com are shut down (closed).
- In Windows XP, Vista and 7 click on “Start” and go to the “Control Panel“:
- To access the Control Panel in Windows 8 or 8.1, move the PC mouse next to the left-bottom hot corner of your Windows 8 or 8.1 screen, then right-click on it:
- In Windows XP click on “Add or remove programs“:
- In Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 click on “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall all suspicious programs from your PC. To do it, in Windows XP click “Remove” button related to it. In Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 right-click on the suspicious program with the computer mouse and click on “Uninstall / Change“.
Step 2. Removing all junk items from the list of add-ons and extensions of your browser.
In addition to removal of any suspicious programs from the Control Panel of your PC as explained above, you also need to remove all suspicious elements from the add-ons or extensions of your browser. Please follow this guide for managing browser add-ons and extensions for more detailed information. Remove any items related to this particular hijacker and other unwanted applications installed on your PC.