MyStartSearch is a brand new browser hijacker currently attacking the majority of contemporary browsers, such as Google Chome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. We’ve previously written articles in our blog about similar hijackers, such as iStartSurf, iStart123, and about HpUI.exe virus (which is a part of these three hijackers). Today MyStartSearch is actively spread in the world wide web along with other free applications. You need to be very careful not to permit all other useless programs from being installed into your PC by default, being initially bundled with such free programs. If you don’t pay attention to such information you may easily end up installing MyStartSearch and other infections into your computer.
In this guide we will help you to remove MyStartSearch virus both automatically and manually from your computer. First of all, let us describe this browser hijacker and the negative amendments it makes with your browser. When the attack of this virus is successful, you will see MyStartSearch to be displayed in the home page of your browser. Opening every new search tab of it again and again gives you mystartsearch.com page. In many cases this hijacker is interconnected to Fast Start annoying extension for Mozilla Firefox and Quick Start extension (add-on) for Google Chrome and Internet Explorer browsers.
MyStartSearch hijacker has the only intention in mind – to earn money for its owners and those who distribute this browser hijacker. For this reason you will see a lot of ads and sponsored links displayed in the home page of your browser and together with the search results redirected via this hijacker and its websites. Clicking on such ads by you will earn money for those who stand behind MyStartSearch. On the other hand, you will not get any single benefit because of it. Quite to the contrary, in fact. The ads displayed by this browser hijacker and its sponsored links, if clicked, may bring you to a lot of third-party websites, and many of them are fairly considered as malicious. As a result, you may end up installing a lot of other absolutely useless programs, and many of them may be considered as serious computer viruses and infections.
So, don’t mess with MyStartSearch! This is a virus which you must remove as soon as you find its presence in your computer. Let us now talk about its manual removal. As we’ve said above, this browser hijacker is protected from being removed by users. This is because of Search Protect malware inside of your PC, which is closely related to MyStartSearch and is a part of it. Search Protect virus has the main process called HpUI.exe. In order to remove Search Protect you will need to stop HpUI.exe, Loader32.exe, Loader64.exe and all other related processes. Then you will need to remove the SupTab folder from the Program Files section of your PC, and even from the Recycle Bin of your PC. Only after you’ve successfully deleted the SupTab folder you may change the home page and search settings of your infected browsers and thus completely remove MyStartSearch virus from them. There is a video guide below that explains termination of HpUI.exe and removal of other malware in a manual way, which is obviously a free removal solution.
However, we also strongly recommend that you scan your PC with GridinSoft Trojan Killer, a powerful anti-malware software, that will help you detect all files, folders and registry entries related to MyStartSearch virus (with its full registered version). You will finally need to reset your browser with GridinSoft Trojan Killer.
Both automatic and manual methods for MyStartSearch removal are explained very well in the guidelines below. Please feel free to contact us at any time of your preference if you require any further assistance on our part. We will do all our best to help you the best we can in removal of MyStartSearch virus from your PC.
Anti-malware tool necessary to simplify MyStartSearch hijack removal
Note that GridinSoft Trojan Killer is a shareware application. Its free 15-day trial is limited only to removal of 2 infections detected by it during scan. However, Trojan Killer has a free built-in module that helps you reset your browser after the attack of browser hijackers like MyStartSearch. This free module helps you reset browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera. If Trojan Killer has detected more than 2 threats on your computer and you would like to remove them for free, please let us know.
Similar removal video that explains removal of MyStartSearch hijacker for free (manually):
MyStartSearch hijack step-by-step removal instructions.
Step 1. Uninstalling programs related to this hijack from the Control Panel of your computer (from the list above).
Instructions for Windows XP, Vista and 7 operating systems:
- Make sure that all your browsers infected with this browser hijacker are shut down (closed).
- Click “Start” and go to the “Control Panel“:
- In Windows XP click “Add or remove programs“:
- In Windows Vista and 7 click “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall programs related to this trojan from your PC (see the list above). To do it, in Windows XP click “Remove” button related to it. In Windows Vista and 7 right-click any suspicious adware program with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“. Note that these can be the programs like WindowsMangerProtect220.127.116.112, wpm_v18.104.22.1682.exe, SupTab, or similar junkware.
Instructions for Windows 8 operating system:
- Move the PC mouse towards the top right hot corner of Windows 8 screen, click “Search“:
- Type “Uninstall a program“, then click “Settings“:
- In the left menu that has come up select “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall related unwanted programs. To do it, in Windows 8 right-click the unwanted program with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“.
Step 2. Scanning your computer with a powerful anti-malware tool and resetting your browsers with its help.
- Download GridinSoft Trojan Killer through the download button below.
- Install the program and scan your computer with it.
- At the end of scan click “Apply” to remove all infections associated with this browser hijacker.
- Important! It is also necessary that you reset your browsers with GridinSoft Trojan Killer after removal of this virus. Shut down all your available browsers now.
- In GridinSoft Trojan Killer click on “Tools” tab and select “Reset browser settings“:
- Select which particular browsers you want to be reset and choose the reset options.
- Click on “Reset” button:
- You will receive the confirmation windows about browser settings reset successfully.
- Reboot your PC now.
Step 3. Repairing the Desktop shortcuts and Start menu objects related to your browser infected by this browser hijacker.
This browser hijacker also sets up its attribute to the Desktop icons and possibly some Start menu items of your browsers attacked by it. In order to fix this issue you need to right-click the Desktop icons and Start menu items related to your browsers attacked by this browser hijacker. Click “Properties” and check their destination path in the “Target” section of the shortcut tab. Make sure there’s nothing related to mystartsearch.com in this destination path. If you see the website of this hijacker set there by default, remove it completely and leave only the clear destination path that leads to the executable of your browser.
Milestones to fix the Desktop shortcuts and Quick Launch and Stat menu items of your browser affected by this hijacker:
- Right-click the Desktop icons, Quick Launch or Start Menu items or your infected browser, click “Properties“:
- In the window that comes up click the “Shortcut” tab. Make sure that the target to your browser doesn’t have any “tails” that could lead to mystartsurf.com hijack. If you see such a “tail”, remove it. These are most common targets to all major browsers (if their installation path was initially set by default):
- After you remove all junk data from the Desktop shortcuts, Quick Launch and Start menu items of your browser affected by the hijacker, click “Apply” and “OK” to apply all introduced amendments made by you in an attempt to fix your browser:
“C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe” – for Internet Explorer
“C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe” – for Mozilla Firefox
“C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” – for Google Chrome
“C:\Program Files\Opera\launcher.exe” – for Opera
Example of fixing the Desktop shortcuts and Start menu items related to your browser infected by this hijacker (YouTube video guide that is applicable for fixing all infected browsers):
Step 4. Additional removal instructions for Mozilla Firefox browser (if the above-said steps proved to be unsuccessful).
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:config” in the address bar and press “Enter” on your keyboard.
- Click “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button.
- This will open the Settings page of your Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url“. Right-click and reset it. This is a very important step that will prevent the search page of this hijacker from opening in each new tab of your Firefox browser.
Additional video instructions to reset Google Chrome browser using the built-in feature of Google Chrome browser: