HPNotify.exe is a malicious process, which is related to Search Protect PUP (potentially unwanted program). This PUP is often installed together with several browser hijackers, such as MyStartSearch, Omiga Plus, WebsSearches, etc. All of them use HPNotify.exe in order to protect themselves from being deleted by user, who is not happy with the amendments introduced into his/her browser by such hijackers.
HPNotify.exe and Search Protect malware is spread in the world wide web today through being bundled with a lot of other free applications. Users who are active in installing freeware into their PCs need to make sure that they always carefully read what exactly they’re going to make a part of their computers, in addition to the main application of their choice. It is very important to carefully read the End User’s License Agreements of all free applications you’re going to make a part of your PC. Such documents, by the way, always clearly mention all third-party programs, which are suggested for users to be installed into PCs by default. So, if you read about them, why don’t you select the option of a custom installation, instead of the standard one? This will help you to avoid installation of all unwanted programs, such as HPNotify.exe and SearchProtect into your PC.
HPNotify.exe is used by browser hijackers in order to prevent users from removing them. When you see mystartsearch.com in the home page of your hijacked browser and decide to change it back to google.com, then HPNotify.exe will do its malicious job or restoring mystartsearch.com again and again to be set in the home page of your browser. This will occur until you completely remove HPNotify.exe and Search Protect malware from your computer.
The problem related to browser hijackers is the issue for browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. In order to fix this problem you will first need to remove HPNotify.exe and Search Protect malwares from your computer. Please follow this guide below, which explains how to do it both automatically and manually. In case you need more help on our part, please feel free to contact us at any time of your choice.
Instructions to remove HPNotify.exe and related browser hijackers manually (for free):
- Shut down all your open affected browsers.
- Right-click on Task Bar with the PC mouse and click on Task Manager.
- Find the active (running) processes like HPNotify.exe, IePlugin Service, Loader32.exe, Loader64.exe and all running processes of your browsers (if active). Right-click on them and select “End task“.
- Go to the Program Files folder on your system drive.
- Find “Sup Tab” folder there, delete it.
- Remove Sup Tab folder from the Recycle Bin.
- Repair the Desktop shortcuts and Start menu objects related to your browser infected by such browser hijackers:
- Right-click the Desktop icons, Quick Launch or Start Menu items or your infected browser, click “Properties“.
- In the window that comes up click the “Shortcut” tab. Make sure that the target to your browser doesn’t have any “tails” that could lead to browser hijackers. If you see such a “tail”, remove it. These are most common targets to all major browsers (if their installation path was initially set by default):
- After you remove all junk data from the Desktop shortcuts, Quick Launch and Start menu items of your browser affected by browser hijacker, click “Apply” and “OK” to apply all introduced amendments made by you in an attempt to fix your browser:
- Perform additional removal manipulations for Mozilla Firefox browser (if the above-said steps proved to be unsuccessful):
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:config” in the address bar and press “Enter” on your keyboard.
- Click “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button.
- This will open the Settings page of your Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url“. Right-click and reset it. This is a very important step that will prevent the search page of this hijacker from opening in each new tab of your Firefox browser.
These browser hijackers also sets up its attribute to the Desktop icons and possibly some Start menu items of your browsers attacked by it. In order to fix this issue you need to right-click the Desktop icons and Start menu items related to your browsers attacked by this browser hijacker. Click “Properties” and check their destination path in the “Target” section of the shortcut tab. Make sure there’s nothing related to browser hijackers in this destination path. If you see the website of this hijacker set there by default, remove it completely and leave only the clear destination path that leads to the executable of your browser.
“C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe” – for Internet Explorer
“C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe” – for Mozilla Firefox
“C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” – for Google Chrome
“C:\Program Files\Opera\launcher.exe” – for Opera
Example of fixing the Desktop shortcuts and Start menu items related to your browser infected by this hijacker (YouTube video guide that is applicable for fixing all infected browsers):
Video that explains free HPNotify.exe and other malware removal (manual method):
HPNotify.exe automatic removal guide:
Anti-malware tool necessary for HPNotify.exe and related malware automatic removal
Note that GridinSoft Trojan Killer is a shareware application. Its free 15-day trial is limited only to removal of 2 infections detected by it during scan. However, Trojan Killer has a free built-in module that helps you reset your browser after the attack of browser hijackers. This free module helps you reset browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera. If Trojan Killer has detected more than 2 threats on your computer and you would like to remove them for free, please let us know.
Introductory steps (recommended). Uninstalling programs related to any hijackers from the Control Panel of your computer (from the list above).
Instructions for Windows XP, Vista and 7 operating systems:
- Make sure that all your browsers infected with HPNotify.exe are shut down (closed).
- Click “Start” and go to the “Control Panel“:
- In Windows XP click “Add or remove programs“:
- In Windows Vista and 7 click “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall programs related to HPNotify.exe trojan from your PC (see the list above). To do it, in Windows XP click “Remove” button related to it. In Windows Vista and 7 right-click any suspicious adware program with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“. Note that these can be the programs like WindowsMangerProtect126.96.36.1992, wpm_v188.8.131.522.exe, SupTab, or similar junkware.
Instructions for Windows 8 operating system:
- Move the PC mouse towards the top right hot corner of Windows 8 screen, click “Search“:
- Type “Uninstall a program“, then click “Settings“:
- In the left menu that has come up select “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall related unwanted programs. To do it, in Windows 8 right-click the unwanted program with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“.
Mandatory steps for automatic removal. Scanning your computer with a powerful anti-malware tool and resetting your browsers with its help.
- Download GridinSoft Trojan Killer through the download button below.
- Install the program and scan your computer with it.
- At the end of scan click “Apply” to remove all infections associated with this browser hijacker.
- Important! It is also necessary that you reset your browsers with GridinSoft Trojan Killer after HPNotify.exe virus removal. Shut down all your available browsers now.
- In GridinSoft Trojan Killer click “Tools” tab and select “Reset browser settings“:
- Select which particular browsers you want to be reset and choose the reset options:
- Click on “Reset” button.
- You will receive the confirmation windows about browser settings reset successfully.
- Reboot your PC now.