Ixquick Web Search is yet another browser hijacker, which is pretty much similar to Startpage Web Search hijack. When the attack of it takes place and if it is successful, you will see that the home page of your browser has been changed into ixquick.com. This problem may occur with browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera. If you’ve seen that Ixquick Web Search hijacker is inside of your system, we recommend you to get rid of it as soon as possible. In this guide we will help you to do it either automatically or manually.
Ixquick Web Search hijacker is actively distributed in the world wide web today along with many other free programs. You might decide to download and install some sort of free software, but the problem is that you will also be suggested to install a lot of extra programs, which you definitely do not need. So, in order to avoid unwanted installations, please select the option of the advanced installation, instead of the standard one. This will actually help you to avoid all useless software from being installed into your system without your desire.
Regretfully, not users actually pay close attention to what exactly they install into their systems. As a result, they often end up facing a huge variety of absolutely useless applications as a part of their PCs and their browsers. Ixquick Web Search hijacker speaks of itself as the world’s most private search engine. You may see that its web address starts with https, i.e. being ssl-encrypted. But this doesn’t really mean that the search services provided by Ixquick Web Search are useful. We recommend you to remove it from your browser and get back to Google as the most reliable search engine.
You may remove Ixquick Web Search hijacker either automatically or manually from your system. These removal methods are very well explained in the guide below. If you require our additional help removing this browser hijacker, please feel free to contact us at any time of your preference. Good luck!
Anti-malware tool necessary to simplify Ixquick Web Search hijack removal
Note that GridinSoft Trojan Killer is a shareware application. Its free 15-day trial is limited only to removal of 2 infections detected by it during scan. However, Trojan Killer has a free built-in module that helps you reset your browser after the attack of browser hijackers like Ixquick Web Search. This free module helps you reset browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera. If Trojan Killer has detected more than 2 threats on your computer and you would like to remove them for free, please let us know.
Removal video that explains removal of Ixquick Web Search hijacker manually (for free):
Ixquick Web Search step-by-step removal instructions.
Step 1. Uninstalling Ixquick Web Search hijack from the Control Panel of your computer.
Instructions for Windows XP, Vista and 7 operating systems:
- Make sure that all your browsers infected with Ixquick Web Search hijack are shut down (closed).
- Click “Start” and go to the “Control Panel“:
- In Windows XP click “Add or remove programs“:
- In Windows Vista and 7 click “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall Ixquick Web Search from your PC. To do it, in Windows XP click “Remove” button related to it. In Windows Vista and 7 right-click on Ixquick Web Search with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“.
Instructions for Windows 8 operating system:
- Move the PC mouse towards the top right hot corner of Windows 8 screen, click “Search“:
- Type “Uninstall a program“, then click “Settings“:
- In the left menu that has come up select “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall Ixquick Web Search. To do it, in Windows 8 right-click on Ixquick Web Search with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“.
Step 2. Scanning your computer with a powerful anti-malware tool and resetting your browsers with its help.
- Download GridinSoft Trojan Killer through the download button below.
- Install the program and scan your computer with it.
- At the end of scan click “Apply” to remove all infections associated with this browser hijacker.
- Important! It is also necessary that you reset your browsers with GridinSoft Trojan Killer after Ixquick Web Search removal. Shut down all your available browsers now.
- In GridinSoft Trojan Killer click “Tools” tab and select “Reset browser settings“:
- Select which particular browsers you want to be reset and choose the reset options:
- Click “Reset browser settings” button.
- You will receive the confirmation windows about browser settings reset successfully.
- Reboot your PC now.
Step 3. Additional removal instructions for Mozilla Firefox browser (if the above-said steps proved to be unsuccessful).
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:config” in the address bar and press “Enter” on your keyboard.
- Click “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button.
- This will open the Settings page of your Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url“. Right-click and reset it. This is a very important step that will prevent the search page of this hijacker from opening in each new tab of your Firefox browser.
Additional video instructions to reset Google Chrome browser using the built-in feature of Google Chrome browser: