In this guide we will help you to remove Search Algo hijacker, also known as Algo Search. No matter what is the order of these two words, the result will be the same. If you have this hijacker as a part of your browser, then you obviously have a serious problem related to search engine redirection through this domain, which doesn’t represent any value as far as obtaining decent search results is concerned.
SearchAlgo hijacker may actually attack the majority of actively used browsers, such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. Other browsers, however, could be attacked as well by it. Algo Search virus is spread in the Internet today, being actively bundled with a lot of other cost-free applications. This is why it is very important that you are very careful when installing freeware into your PC.
Just as an example, you could find some PDF converter, or MP3 player, which are free. Before you ever install them, make sure you read their End User’s License Agreements carefully. You should check whether the installer of such MP3 player or PDF converter doesn’t offer any other useless extras for you to be installed into your PC in addition to the main software of your choice.
If you do see any third-party programs suggested to be installed additionally, then you must select the advanced or custom installation option where you may uncheck all such third-party software from being implanted into your PC by default. Users who don’t pay such close attention may easily end up installing a lot of useless programs, such as SearchAlgo hijacker.
We can’t really say any good word regarding Algo Search. Its mission is not to help you find more relevant information online, but rather to collect your browsing history and then use it for its malicious purposes. In addition, you may see a lot of annoying ads and sponsored links displayed in the home page of your browser and together with the search results redirected through searchalgo.com.
To sum up, Search Algo browser hijacker is not the good application for your PC and your browser. We recommend you to remove it immediately as soon as you actually identify its presence in your computer. This can be done either automatically or manually. In any case, make sure you follow these step-by-step instructions carefully. This will help you to get rid of Algo Search malware from your computer.
Anti-malware tool necessary to simplify Algo Search hijack removal
Note that GridinSoft Trojan Killer is a shareware application. Its free 15-day trial is limited only to removal of 2 infections detected by it during scan. However, Trojan Killer has a free built-in module that helps you reset your browser after the attack of browser hijackers like Algo Search. This free module helps you reset browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera. If Trojan Killer has detected more than 2 threats on your computer and you would like to remove them for free, please let us know.
Removal video that explains removal of Search Algo hijacker manually (for free):
Algo Search step-by-step removal instructions.
Step 1. Uninstalling Algo Search hijack from the Control Panel of your computer.
Instructions for Windows XP, Vista and 7 operating systems:
- Make sure that all your browsers infected with SearchAlgo.com hijack are shut down (closed).
- Click “Start” and go to the “Control Panel“:
- In Windows XP click “Add or remove programs“:
- In Windows Vista and 7 click “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall Algo Search trojan from your PC. To do it, in Windows XP click “Remove” button related to it. In Windows Vista and 7 right-click on SearchAlgo.com with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“.
Instructions for Windows 8 operating system:
- Move the PC mouse towards the top right hot corner of Windows 8 screen, click “Search“:
- Type “Uninstall a program“, then click “Settings“:
- In the left menu that has come up select “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall SearchAlgo.com. To do it, in Windows 8 right-click on Algo Search with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“.
Step 2. Scanning your computer with a powerful anti-malware tool and resetting your browsers with its help.
- Download GridinSoft Trojan Killer through the download button below.
- Install the program and scan your computer with it.
- At the end of scan click “Apply” to remove all infections associated with this browser hijacker.
- Important! It is also necessary that you reset your browsers with GridinSoft Trojan Killer after SearchAlgo.com virus removal. Shut down all your available browsers now.
- In GridinSoft Trojan Killer click “Tools” tab and select “Reset browser settings“:
- Select which particular browsers you want to be reset and choose the reset options.
- Click on “Reset” button:
- You will receive the confirmation windows about browser settings reset successfully.
- Reboot your PC now.
Step 3. Additional removal instructions for Mozilla Firefox browser (if the above-said steps proved to be unsuccessful).
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:config” in the address bar and press “Enter” on your keyboard.
- Click “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button.
- This will open the Settings page of your Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url“. Right-click and reset it. This is a very important step that will prevent the search page of this hijacker from opening in each new tab of your Firefox browser.
Additional video instructions to reset Google Chrome browser using the built-in feature of Google Chrome browser: