The Smart Search hijacker in your browser isn’t really smart. It does nothing extraordinary. What it does is imitating to be some genuine search engine. However, in reality it is absolutely good for nothing when it comes to furnishing users with relevant search results. Very often it simply steals the information from other search engines like DuckDuckGo, which isn’t a decent search engine either.
The Smart Search is generally brought into computers together with many other free applications. Users who are active in the Internet need to pay close attention to what other free programs they are going to install into their PCs in addition to the main applications of their choice. The truth is that there is a lot of free software today which goes bundled with browser hijackers like The Smart Search.
It is a good recommendation for you to carefully read the End User’s License Agreements of all free programs you’re going to install into your computer. Typically such documents (also referred to as the EULAs) clearly mention all third-party applications which are offered for users to be installed into their PCs by default. So, if you read about these extras you don’t want, make sure you always select the option of a custom or advanced installation, instead of the standard one. This will help you to uncheck all such useless third-party programs from being installed into your workstation by default.
If you’ve already installed The Smart Search hijacker as a result of your failure to be attentive, then you will see the website thesmartsearch.net to be displayed in the home page of your hijacked browser. Keep in mind that such problems may occur with browsers like Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.
On the other hand, thesmartsearch.net, also known as The Smart Search hijacker, isn’t that difficult to be removed. What you need to do is to download and install GridinSoft Trojan Killer and to reset your browser with its help as explained in the guide below. There’s no need at all for you to purchase its full version. Simply use its free utility to reset your browser hijacked by The Smart Search virus. If you need more help on our part, please feel free to contact us any time.
Anti-malware tool necessary to simplify The Smart Search hijack removal
Note that GridinSoft Trojan Killer is a shareware application. Its free 15-day trial is limited only to removal of 2 infections detected by it during scan. However, Trojan Killer has a free built-in module that helps you reset your browser after the attack of browser hijackers like The Smart Search. This free module helps you reset browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera. If Trojan Killer has detected more than 2 threats on your computer and you would like to remove them for free, please let us know.
Removal video that explains removal of The Smart Search hijacker manually (for free):
The Smart Search step-by-step removal instructions.
Step 1. Uninstalling The Smart Search hijack from the Control Panel of your computer.
Instructions for Windows XP, Vista and 7 operating systems:
- Make sure that all your browsers infected with The Smart Search hijack are shut down (closed).
- Click “Start” and go to the “Control Panel“:
- In Windows XP click “Add or remove programs“:
- In Windows Vista and 7 click “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall The Smart Search trojan from your PC. To do it, in Windows XP click “Remove” button related to it. In Windows Vista and 7 right-click on The Smart Search with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“.
Instructions for Windows 8 operating system:
- Move the PC mouse towards the top right hot corner of Windows 8 screen, click “Search“:
- Type “Uninstall a program“, then click “Settings“:
- In the left menu that has come up select “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall The Smart Search. To do it, in Windows 8 right-click on The Smart Search with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“.
Step 2. Scanning your computer with a powerful anti-malware tool and resetting your browsers with its help.
- Download GridinSoft Trojan Killer through the download button below.
- Install the program and scan your computer with it.
- At the end of scan click “Apply” to remove all infections associated with this browser hijacker.
- Important! It is also necessary that you reset your browsers with GridinSoft Trojan Killer after The Smart Search removal. Shut down all your available browsers now.
- In GridinSoft Trojan Killer click “Tools” tab and select “Reset browser settings“:
- Select which particular browsers you want to be reset and choose the reset options.
- Click on “Reset” button:
- You will receive the confirmation windows about browser settings reset successfully.
- Reboot your PC now.
Step 3. Additional removal instructions for Mozilla Firefox browser (if the above-said steps proved to be unsuccessful).
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:config” in the address bar and press “Enter” on your keyboard.
- Click “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button.
- This will open the Settings page of your Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url“. Right-click and reset it. This is a very important step that will prevent the search page of this hijacker from opening in each new tab of your Firefox browser.
Additional video instructions to reset Google Chrome browser using the built-in feature of Google Chrome browser: