If you can’t remove iStartSurf virus from your computer, then this article is what you need for its elimination from your system. Either you prefer to get rid of it manually and for free, or you would like to delete this browser hijacker automatically, this guide will furnish you with al the information you need to make it possible.
This iStartSurf is a browser hijacker. Many users call it simply a “virus”, however, it is more correct to speak of it as the malicious software that hijacks browsers. The main attack is produced at the home page of infected browser, and also on the search engine you use for retrieving important information online.
The problem with iStartSurf browser hijacker is mainly the issue for browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, which are the most vulnerable ones to the risks of being affected with adware, browser hijackers and other potentially unwanted programs. But another truth is that iStartSurf, as well as many other browser hijackers, is distributed in the world today along with many other cost-free programs downloaded by users from various online resources. So, if you are the person who regularly deals with free software, make sure that you pay attention to its installation details. You need to carefully read the information in its installer, making sure that you do not install any unwanted extras into your system.
Also, it is surely a good practice that you carefully read the End User’s License Agreements of all free programs you install into your systems. This will help you to know all concealed details of the installation, and you will know what exactly you’re going to bring into your PC in addition to the main software of your choice. You need to select the option of a custom installation of any free program and deselect iStartSurf and other unwanted applications from being brought into your computer without your desire .This is how you can actually avoid iStartSurf virus from being implanted into your computer.
Regretfully, not so many users actually pay such a close attention when they install any freeware. And this is how they actually allow all useless programs like iStartSurf to be implanted into their PCs and to attack their browsers. This browser hijacker will amend the home page of your default browser and, in fact, all other browsers you have installed on your computer. Instead of google.com or other home page of your choice you will see istartsurf.com. Plus, all your search queries will be permanently redirected through this website.
This iStartSurf browser hijacker isn’t safe at all. It will display a lot of intrusive ads in the home page of your hijacked browser, and it will likewise show a lot of sponsored links displayed together with the pseudo search results redirected through istartsurf.com. These links may redirect you to a lot of other third-party websites which may easily infect your system with other totally unwanted programs, and some of them are even classified as malicious. We recommend you to remove iStartSurf as soon as you detect it in your browser, and we hope that this guide below ill help you in this matter. Please feel free to contact us if you need any further assistance on our part.
Anti-malware tool necessary to simplify iStartSurf hijack removal
Note that GridinSoft Trojan Killer is a shareware application. Its free 15-day trial is limited only to removal of 2 infections detected by it during scan. However, Trojan Killer has a free built-in module that helps you reset your browser after the attack of browser hijackers like iStartSurf. This free module helps you reset browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera. If Trojan Killer has detected more than 2 threats on your computer and you would like to remove them for free, please let us know.
Similar removal video that explains removal of iStartSurf hijacker automatically with the help of Trojan Killer:
IStartSurf hijack step-by-step removal instructions.
Step 1. Uninstalling programs related to iStartSurf hijack from the Control Panel of your computer (from the list above).
Instructions for Windows XP, Vista and 7 operating systems:
- Make sure that all your browsers infected with iStartSurf hijack are shut down (closed).
- Click “Start” and go to the “Control Panel“:
- In Windows XP click “Add or remove programs“:
- In Windows Vista and 7 click “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall programs related to iStartSurf trojan from your PC (see the list above). To do it, in Windows XP click “Remove” button related to it. In Windows Vista and 7 right-click any suspicious adware program with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“. Note that these can be the programs like WindowsMangerProtect22.214.171.1242, wpm_v126.96.36.1992.exe, SupTab, or similar junkware.
Instructions for Windows 8 operating system:
- Move the PC mouse towards the top right hot corner of Windows 8 screen, click “Search“:
- Type “Uninstall a program“, then click “Settings“:
- In the left menu that has come up select “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall related unwanted programs. To do it, in Windows 8 right-click the unwanted program with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“.
Step 2. Scanning your computer with a powerful anti-malware tool and resetting your browsers with its help.
- Download GridinSoft Trojan Killer through the download button below.
- Install the program and scan your computer with it.
- At the end of scan click “Apply” to remove all infections associated with this browser hijacker.
- Important! It is also necessary that you reset your browsers with GridinSoft Trojan Killer after iStartSurf virus removal. Shut down all your available browsers now.
- In GridinSoft Trojan Killer click “Tools” tab and select “Reset browser settings“:
- Select which particular browsers you want to be reset and choose the reset options:
- Click “Reset browser settings” button.
- You will receive the confirmation windows about browser settings reset successfully.
- Reboot your PC now.
Step 3. Repairing the Desktop shortcuts and Start menu objects related to your browser infected by this browser hijacker.
This browser hijacker also sets up its attribute to the Desktop icons and possibly some Start menu items of your browsers attacked by it. In order to fix this issue you need to right-click the Desktop icons and Start menu items related to your browsers attacked by this browser hijacker. Click “Properties” and check their destination path in the “Target” section of the shortcut tab. Make sure there’s nothing related to istartsurf.com in this destination path. If you see the website of this hijacker set there by default, remove it completely and leave only the clear destination path that leads to the executable of your browser.
Milestones to fix the Desktop shortcuts and Quick Launch and Stat menu items of your browser affected by iStartSurf hijack:
- Right-click the Desktop icons, Quick Launch or Start Menu items or your infected browser, click “Properties“:
- In the window that comes up click the “Shortcut” tab. Make sure that the target to your browser doesn’t have any “tails” that could lead to istartsurf.com hijack. If you see such a “tail”, remove it. These are most common targets to all major browsers (if their installation path was initially set by default):
- After you remove all junk data from the Desktop shortcuts, Quick Launch and Start menu items of your browser affected by iStartSurf hijack, click “Apply” and “OK” to apply all introduced amendments made by you in an attempt to fix your browser:
“C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe” – for Internet Explorer
“C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe” – for Mozilla Firefox
“C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” – for Google Chrome
“C:\Program Files\Opera\launcher.exe” – for Opera
Example of fixing the Desktop shortcuts and Start menu items related to your browser infected by this hijacker (YouTube video guide that is applicable for fixing all infected browsers):
Step 4. Additional removal instructions for Mozilla Firefox browser (if the above-said steps proved to be unsuccessful).
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:config” in the address bar and press “Enter” on your keyboard.
- Click “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button.
- This will open the Settings page of your Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url“. Right-click and reset it. This is a very important step that will prevent the search page of this hijacker from opening in each new tab of your Firefox browser.
Additional video instructions to reset Google Chrome browser using the built-in feature of Google Chrome browser: