In this guide we will help you to remove SmartAddressbar Search virus from your computer. Technically, this isn’t a malware, but it isn’t a good program either. As a result of this hijacker in your PC you will see permanent search engine redirection of your browser through search.smartaddressbar.com. When you open your browser to look for some information, SmartAddressbar will be the first thing you will see in its home page.
To remove SmartAddressbar from your browser isn’t really a difficult thing to do, but first of all let us devote some time do describing the ways thorough which is can be installed into your PC. Note that this particular browser hijacker can be installed into PCs through other free applications. You might decide to install some programs which are beneficial to use (in your opinion). It is true that may be some of such free applications are useful, but on the other hand they may by default be bundled with a lot of other extra programs you obviously do not need. SmartAddressbar Search may be one of them.
So, whenever you see any free application and are just about to install it into your PC, make sure you carefully read all the information presented in its installer. If you do read about any third-party extra programs suggested for you to be installed into your PC by default, make sure you select the advanced or custom installation, where you may easily deselect all such third-party applications from being implanted into your PC by default.
Regretfully, not all users actually pay attention to all such important details. Many of them just blindly click on “Next” and “I agree” buttons all the time, and this is how they actually allow all such useless programs like SmartAddressbar Search to be installed into their PCs and their browsers.
To look for any information through SmartAddressbar Search hijacker isn’t a good practice. This site search.smartaddressbar.com may display a lot of ads and sponsored links in the home page of your browser hijacked by it, or together with the pseudo search results redirected through it. Some of these links might not be safe at all and could lead you to a lot of sites that may install all sorts of useless programs into your computer. We recommend you to get rid of SmartAddressbar Search hijacker by following the uninstall guidelines set forth below. If you need our help in this issue, please feel free to contact us at any time, and we will do all our best to assist you in removal of this hijacker, or of any other malware from your computer.
Anti-malware tool necessary to simplify SmartAddressbar Search hijack removal
Note that GridinSoft Trojan Killer is a shareware application. Its free 15-day trial is limited only to removal of 2 infections detected by it during scan. However, Trojan Killer has a free built-in module that helps you reset your browser after the attack of browser hijackers like SmartAddressbar Search. This free module helps you reset browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera. If Trojan Killer has detected more than 2 threats on your computer and you would like to remove them for free, please let us know.
Removal video that explains removal of SmartAddressbar Search hijacker manually (for free):
SmartAddressbar Search step-by-step removal instructions.
Step 1. Uninstalling SmartAddressbar Search hijack from the Control Panel of your computer.
Instructions for Windows XP, Vista and 7 operating systems:
- Make sure that all your browsers infected with SmartAddressbar Search hijack are shut down (closed).
- Click “Start” and go to the “Control Panel“:
- In Windows XP click “Add or remove programs“:
- In Windows Vista and 7 click “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall SmartAddressbar Search trojan from your PC. To do it, in Windows XP click “Remove” button related to it. In Windows Vista and 7 right-click on SmartAddressbar Search with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“.
Instructions for Windows 8 operating system:
- Move the PC mouse towards the top right hot corner of Windows 8 screen, click “Search“:
- Type “Uninstall a program“, then click “Settings“:
- In the left menu that has come up select “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall SmartAddressbar Search. To do it, in Windows 8 right-click on SmartAddressbar Search with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“.
Step 2. Scanning your computer with a powerful anti-malware tool and resetting your browsers with its help.
- Download GridinSoft Trojan Killer through the download button below.
- Install the program and scan your computer with it.
- At the end of scan click “Apply” to remove all infections associated with this browser hijacker.
- Important! It is also necessary that you reset your browsers with GridinSoft Trojan Killer after SmartAddressbar Search virus removal. Shut down all your available browsers now.
- In GridinSoft Trojan Killer click “Tools” tab and select “Reset browser settings“:
- Select which particular browsers you want to be reset and choose the reset options.
- Click on “Reset” button:
- You will receive the confirmation windows about browser settings reset successfully.
- Reboot your PC now.
Step 3. Additional removal instructions for Mozilla Firefox browser (if the above-said steps proved to be unsuccessful).
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:config” in the address bar and press “Enter” on your keyboard.
- Click “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button.
- This will open the Settings page of your Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url“. Right-click and reset it. This is a very important step that will prevent the search page of this hijacker from opening in each new tab of your Firefox browser.
Additional video instructions to reset Google Chrome browser using the built-in feature of Google Chrome browser: