Start.hometab.com is a website which may easily become the part of your Google Chrome homepage. Such modifications of your search preferences are surely not welcome by you, this is why you’ve decided to go online and find the way to fix this problem.
Most likely start.hometab.com and the very Home Tab program penetrate into PCs through other free applications downloaded by users. For example, you might find some useful program online and decide to install it right away. The problem is that very often such free programs are by default bundled with all kinds of extras users don’t really need for their PCs. Yet, some users fail to be attentive while installing these free programs. They just click on “Next” and “I agree” buttons, without actually understanding what exactly they agree with. As a result, they see a lot of unwanted amendments with their browsers. Furthermore, they may also encounter a lot of useless and even dangerous applications running in their computers.
Start.hometab.com may be set in the home page of Google Chrome browser only. However, other browsers may become infected by this infection as well. For example, when users try to look for some information, they will see that all their search queries are permanently redirected via thesmartsearch.net website, which is a part of this hijacker. These problems may occur with all major browsers today.
To look for the information through thesmartsearch.net (The Smart Search) is the waste of your time. You will not find any relevant information there. Furthermore, you may see a lot of annoying ads and sponsored links redirecting you to all kinds of useless and even malicious websites.
To sum up, both start.hometab.com and thesmartsearch.net websites are equally malicious. If you’ve noticed that your search is redirected through these two websites, make sure you follow this guide below. This will help you to fix the problem of search engine redirection, remove all sorts of malicious programs from your system and clean your entire PC. In case you need more help, please feel free to contact us at any time.
Anti-malware tool necessary to simplify start.hometab.com hijack removal
Note that GridinSoft Trojan Killer is a shareware application. Its free 15-day trial is limited only to removal of 2 infections detected by it during scan. However, Trojan Killer has a free built-in module that helps you reset your browser after the attack of browser hijackers like start.hometab.com (Home Tab). This free module helps you reset browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera. If Trojan Killer has detected more than 2 threats on your computer and you would like to remove them for free, please let us know.
Removal video that explains removal of Home Tab hijacker manually (for free):
start.hometab.com step-by-step removal instructions.
Step 1. Uninstalling Home Tab from the Control Panel of your computer.
Instructions for Windows XP, Vista and 7 operating systems:
- Make sure that all your browsers infected with Home Tab hijack are shut down (closed).
- Click “Start” and go to the “Control Panel“:
- In Windows XP click “Add or remove programs“:
- In Windows Vista and 7 click “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall Home Tab from your PC. To do it, in Windows XP click “Remove” button related to it. In Windows Vista and 7 right-click on Home Tab with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“.
Instructions for Windows 8 operating system:
- Move the PC mouse towards the top right hot corner of Windows 8 screen, click “Search“:
- Type “Uninstall a program“, then click “Settings“:
- In the left menu that has come up select “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall Home Tab. To do it, in Windows 8 right-click on Home Tab with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“.
Step 2. Scanning your computer with a powerful anti-malware tool and resetting your browsers with its help.
- Download GridinSoft Trojan Killer through the download button below.
- Install the program and scan your computer with it.
- At the end of scan click “Apply” to remove all infections associated with this browser hijacker.
- Important! It is also necessary that you reset your browsers with GridinSoft Trojan Killer after Home Tab removal. Shut down all your available browsers now.
- In GridinSoft Trojan Killer click “Tools” tab and select “Reset browser settings“:
- Select which particular browsers you want to be reset and choose the reset options.
- Click on “Reset” button:
- You will receive the confirmation windows about browser settings reset successfully.
- Reboot your PC now.
Step 3. Additional removal instructions for Mozilla Firefox browser (if the above-said steps proved to be unsuccessful).
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:config” in the address bar and press “Enter” on your keyboard.
- Click “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button.
- This will open the Settings page of your Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box, then right-click and reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url“. Right-click and reset it. This is a very important step that will prevent the search page of this hijacker from opening in each new tab of your Firefox browser.
Additional video instructions to reset Google Chrome browser using the built-in feature of Google Chrome browser: