Attack of Tohotweb hijacker is currently directed at many browsers. Because of relatively poor detection of this hijacker by many security and anti-virus programs the infection often penetrates easily into PCs. Users will easily notice the negative impacts related to its intrusion and definitely want to remove it. This article is dedicated specifically to solve this problem in a professional way.
Once installed, Tohotweb hijacker will cause a lot of system and browser modifications. It will be set in the home page of the majority of browsers by amending the default page settings to start with tohotweb.com. Plus, the hijacker will additionally change the parameters of Desktop shortcuts and quick launch items related to all browsers installed in your computer. So, even if you remove tohotweb.com from the default home page settings, the hijacker will nevertheless come up again and again with startup of every infected browser.
Tohotweb might not be mentioned at all in the list of legally installed applications of your computer. However, it will be supported by several related applications, such as ihpmserver.exe, Raydld.exe, SSFK.exe and other similar dangerous software. The role of these applications is to prevent users from removing Tohotweb in a simple way.
Tohotweb is actually a pseudo search engine which is absolutely unable to furnish users with any relevant search results. When you make certain queries through tohotweb.com and later on try to find the appropriate information through it, you will not be able to find any thing decent. Most likely you will instead see the bunch of intrusive ads and sponsored links leading you to plenty of dangerous places in the Internet.
Remember that Tohotweb, as well as other similar hijackers developed in China, are spread in the web today through integration with the installers of many free applications. Users should be careful not to allow any hidden installations to take place on their PCs while dealing with freeware. In case you do read about Tohotweb in the instructions of setup wizards of any specific program you intend to install, then immediately go ahead and switch to the advanced (custom) installation mode where you will manage to uncheck these installations. Finally, in case Tohotweb got installed as a result of your failure to be careful, please follow the removal guidelines set forth in the rest of the article. We recommend you to scan the PC with GridinSoft Anti-Malware, remove the infections it finds in your system with its registered copy and reset your browsers with its help.
Anti-malware tool necessary to eliminate Tohotweb virus automatically.
Detailed automatic removal instructions:
- Download GridinSoft Anti-Malware via the download button (above).
- Install the application and scan your computer with it.
- At the end of scan click “Apply” to remove all infections related to tohotweb.com and other infections:
- Important! It is also very important that you reset your browsers using GridinSoft Anti-Malware after you delete Tohotweb malware. Shut down all your available browsers right now.
- In GridinSoft Anti-Malware click on “Tools” tab and select “Reset browser settings“:
- Select which particular browsers you would like to be reset and choose the reset options:
- Finally, Click on “Reset” button.
- You will receive the confirmation windows about browser settings reset successfully.
- Reboot your system now.
Video explaining how to reset your browser using GridinSoft Anti-Malware:
Manual (free) instructions to get rid of Tohotweb hijacker.
Step 1. Uninstalling Tohotweb malware from the Control Panel of your computer.
- Make sure that all your browsers infected with Tohotweb are shut down (closed).
- In Windows XP, Vista and 7 click on “Start” and go to the “Control Panel“.
- To access the Control Panel in Windows 8 or 8.1, move the PC mouse next to the left-bottom hot corner of your Windows 8 or 8.1 screen, then right-click on it.
- In Windows XP click on “Add or remove programs“.
- In Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 click on “Uninstall a program“.
- Uninstall Tohotweb program from your system. To do it, in Windows XP click “Remove” button related to it. In Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 right-click on Tohotweb program with the computer mouse and click on “Uninstall / Change“.
Step 2. Removing suspicious items from the list of add-ons and extensions of your browser.
In addition to removal of Tohotweb trojan from the Control Panel of your PC as explained above, you also need to remove suspicious items from the add-ons or extensions of your browser. Please follow this guide for managing browser add-ons and extensions for more detailed information. Remove any items related to Tohotweb and other unwanted applications installed on your PC.
Instructions to prevent your system from being contaminated with Tohotweb virus again:
GridinSoft Anti-Malware renders an excellent tool to prevent malicious applications from being started in your computer ahead of time. By default, this feature is disabled after you install GridinSoft Anti-Malware. To enable the Real-Time Protection mode click on the “Protect” button and hit “Start” as demonstrated below:
As soon as this feature is enabled, your PC will be protected against all possible malware targeting your computer and attempting to launch and install itself. You may click on the “Confirm” button to continue blocking this infected file from being started, or you may ignore this warning and launch this file.