The message that says ‘Warning! Your computer may be at risk‘ is a brutal scam. This strange and totally misleading pop-up window is a part of some nasty adware program that is currently installed and running on your computer. We are sure that this pop-up alert has the only thing in mind – to make users waste their money, after being brutally scared to death with the fake warning they’ve encountered.
So, to illustrate this scam, today we received the following scary message on our PC:
Warning! Your computer may be at risk!
For emergency Tech Support call immediately 888-491-1431
The system may have found (5) viruses that pose a serious threat:
Your personal and financial information may not be secured.
As you see, this fake alert tries to make you think it is legit. On the other hand, the way it does this is really ridiculous. For example, it says that they system “may have found 5 viruses”. In other words, the pop-up is not sure about this, but just in case it wants you to click it and then follow an absolutely discussion with some guys of Indian accent, who just want to rip you off and make you waste your money in their favour.
So, if you’ve seen this pop-up that says ‘Warning! Your computer may be at risk!’, please ignore it. Do not waste up your time calling this fake technical support number 888-491-1431. You need to scan your system with a reliable anti-malware program that will help you fix your browser and get rid of this adware that might cause this pop-up on your PC. It is a good practice that you scan your system with several anti-malware tools, which altogether may detect this junkware and delete it. Good luck!
Anti-malware tool necessary for ‘Warning! Your computer may be at risk’ pop-up automatic removal
Similar adware removal video:
Detailed removal instructions
Step 1. Uninstalling adware from the Control Panel of your computer.
Instructions for Windows XP, Vista and 7 operating systems:
- Make sure that all your browsers infected with ‘Warning! Your computer may be at risk’ pop-up virus are shut down (closed).
- Click “Start” and go to the “Control Panel“:
- In Windows XP click “Add or remove programs“:
- In Windows Vista and 7 click “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall suspicious adware program from your PC. To do it, in Windows XP click “Remove” button related to it. In Windows Vista and 7 right-click any suspicious adware program with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“.
Instructions for Windows 8 operating system:
- Move the PC mouse towards the top right hot corner of Windows 8 screen, click “Search“:
- Type “Uninstall a program“, then click “Settings“:
- In the left menu that has come up select “Uninstall a program“:
- Uninstall any suspicious adware programs. To do it, in Windows 8 right-click the adware with the PC mouse and click “Uninstall / Change“.
Step 2. Removing the adware from the list of add-ons and extensions of your browser.
In addition to removal of any suspicious adware programs from the Control Panel of your PC as explained above, you also need to remove this adware from the add-ons or extensions of your browser. Please follow this guide for managing browser add-ons and extensions for more detailed information. Remove any items related to this particular adware and other unwanted applications installed on your PC.
Step 3. Scanning your computer with reliable and effective security software for removal of all adware remnants.
- Download GridinSoft Trojan Killer through the download button below.
- Install the program and scan your computer with it.
- At the end of scan click “Apply” to remove all infections associated with this adware.
- Important! It is also necessary that you reset your browsers with GridinSoft Trojan Killer after this particular adware removal. Shut down all your available browsers now.
- In GridinSoft Trojan Killer click “Tools” tab and select “Reset browser settings“:
- Select which particular browsers you want to be reset and choose the reset options:
- Click “Reset browser settings” button.
- You will receive the confirmation windows about browser settings reset successfully.
- Reboot your PC now.